Thursday 24 April 2014

A few days in Wales

When I started this challenge I did not expect to be going to Wales for Easter. However with the weather being good we thought we'd take advantage of our time off and booked a last minute trip to Mid Wales for a few days.

First stop was Gilfach Nature Reserve. A great place which provided me with my first sighting of a dipper. Sadly it was distant and flew as I tried to get closer. Despite waiting around for a while I did not see it again so failed to get a picture (this would become a theme!)

We headed to our cottage and noticed a small stream at the end of the drive from the cottage. On the stream my wife saw another dipper and at the cottage there was a lovely (but slightly nervous!) Grey Wagtail.
84. Grey Wagtail

The next day we explored the area around our cottage. I saw 3 more dippers but all in flight and despite waiting quietly none of them landed anywhere near us! In the afternoon we paid a visit to Gigrin Farm. What an amazing place!! I could fill this blog just with the Red Kite pictures I took but for now will just add a few. I also saw a redstart (no pic) a Raven and some buzzards there.
85. Red Kite



86. Raven

87. Rook

Buzzard

When we got back to our cottage I spent an hour watching Dippers - but guess what? No pictures!!
More of Wales trip to come soon!!






2 comments:

  1. Been to both those places Glenn, and i'll be going back for more in June :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab places. Really want to go back sometime. Let me know how you do in June :)

    ReplyDelete